Planning with pyro? Here are six quick tips from Jim Souza, president of PyroSpectaculars and board member of the American Pyrotechnics Association, to make sure your next event lights up the night.
- Get your permits early. Any event that is on or near a navigable waterway may require months or more to obtain a marine event permit.
- Add music. This will connect the audience with the rhythm of the display and the display with the event.
- Layer two or three levels of fireworks simultaneously at different heights. It costs a bit more but delivers a huge “wow” factor.
- Gauge your audience. Choose fireworks that are suitable for the event venue, mood, sophistication level and audience expectations.
- Plan ahead. Venue size, distance from fireworks, prevailing weather and visibility all matter.
- Practice teamwork. Get the fire marshal and fireworks company on the team early — planning for distances is key.