Keep America Meeting Challenge: Leverage Social Media to Prove Events’ Value
What can you do to support the events industry at a time of unprecedented scrutiny and economic pressure? It’s a question many event and meeting pros are asking themselves, and now, Keep America Meeting, a campaign bringing together diverse parties in support of the industry, has a simple answer: Rally. And it’s not just any rally.
In conjunction with National Travel and Tourism Week, the U.S. Travel Association announced the first-ever U.S. Travel Rally Day on Tuesday, May 12, in which convention and visitors bureaus across the country are organizing rallies in support of the industry. Keep America Meeting is encouraging event pros to band together with their peers — and is also suggesting supporters leverage the power of social media to connect the community simultaneously live and online.
1. Build buzz about the importance of our industry by using the hashtag #rallyday to tag your comments. (New to Twitter? Check out our guide for event pros.) If #rallyday gets a certain number of tweets on May 12 (approximately 1,700 tweets and 733 users, according to a BuzzGain analysis), it may become a top trending topic on Twitter, leading to further visibility for our industry.
2. Can’t leave your desk? Post a picture of yourself next Tuesday with your message to the world about the value of meetings, events and incentives. We recommend TwitPic for posting pictures to Twitter.
3. The industry drives value for organizations of all kinds and supports the U.S. economy, whether helping a CEO convey critical information effectively at a convention or providing a paycheck to a local tour operator. Snap a pic of all those who value meetings and events with a message about why the industry is critical to successful business functioning.
Post your pictures to Keep America Meeting’s Facebook page, and encourage others to do the same.
On the Street
1. Find out if your local CVB is participating in U.S. Travel Rally Day, get in touch, and get out on the street on Tuesday, May 12! (Download a Keep America Meeting sign to take with you by clicking on “May 12th Rally.”)
2. Share pictures of yourself and your sign at the rally. (You can also use TwitPic from your mobile device.)
Event Solutions will publish the best pictures and top tweets, so be ready to show the world how important this creative, business-critical industry is with your message!